With summer right around the corner, there is no better time than now to talk about how to safely enjoy the sun and its benefits. Sunlight not only feels good on our skin, but it also allows us to absorb optimal levels of Vitamin D which has been proven to help support and strengthen our immune function. This is incredibly important now, more than ever!
It is also important to remember that overexposure to the sun can cause premature aging, increased skin cancer risk, and sunspots. So, since at Mahina Beaute skincare and healthy living are two of our greatest passions, we want to share some of our top tips for safe fun in the sun!
- Enjoy your sun in the morning prior to the stronger UVB rays that develop around noon. This will help stave off sunburn, and premature aging.
- If you go out in the afternoon, use a lightweight cover-up, sunglasses, and a hat.
- Look for organic sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) without Benzophenones, Quaternium-15, DMDM Hydantoin and Hydroxymethylglycinate which are carcinogenic and endocrine disruptors.
- Reapply your sunscreen every few hours. More often if swimming or excessively sweating.
- Eat an antioxidant rich diet (leafy greens, berries, legumes, artichokes, beetroot, etc.) to help ward off free radicals from the sun.
- Check to see if any medications you may be taking can cause your skin to be more sensitive to UV rays and take precautions accordingly.
- Remember that even if conditions are overcast, you can still suffer from sunburn.
- Drink plenty of water and/or herbal tea to maintain proper hydration levels for your skin.
- Take a break in the shade if out for long periods of time.
- Use a skin boosting product like Mahina Beaute’s Devavani Face Oil which contains Rosehip Oil known for its antioxidant benefits, repairing sun damage, lightening sun spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the beauty of the great outdoors!
Getting the appropriate amount of Vitamin D from the sun is essential for good health. Although we may not always think we have the time or ability to have our time in the sun, there are small ways to get out and enjoy it even for just a handful of minutes. With our tips, you’ll be able to optimize your sun exposure while still keeping your skin radiant and well!